Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Unworthy Servants

Colossians 1:24-29

One interesting statement in this section is Paul says that his suffering is "filling up that which is lacking in Christ's afflictions." The literal translation says "of" Christ's afflictions and I think that is probably a better translation. This would have me understand that Paul is fulfilling the sufferings that Christ has appointed for him. He is full of joy because he is worthy to suffer for the name of Christ. Paul then goes on to speak of his ministry. Verse 25 tells us that Paul was given a stewardship. The word stewardship comes from a greek word literally meaning house-distributor. Paul has been given the authority to, in a sense, distribute the house of God. Who gave him this authority? God. Why? That he may preach the Word of God to a lost and dying world. This stewardship also reminds me of 1 Cor 9:16-18. “For if I preach the gospel, I have nothing to boast of, for I am under compulsion; for woe is me if I do not preach the gospel. For if I do this voluntarily, I have a reward; but if against my will, I have a stewardship entrusted to me. What then is my reward? That, when I preach the gospel, I may offer the gospel without charge, so as not to make full use of my right in the gospel.” Paul is talking about how it is his duty to preach the gospel. And since it is his duty, he should not get any glory for doing it. But there is a reward that he seeks and that is to offer the gospel free of charge. He did have the right and authority to ask for support to preach, but it was rewarding for him to preach for free. That said, he did receive support from churches, but usually not when he first brought them the gospel. Sometimes, I catch myself giving myself a ‘pat on the back’ because I shared the gospel or because I want to serve God through international missions like it’s some great and amazing task. Yet, it is only our duty. It’s what God has commanded us to do in Matt 28:18. My pastor taught on this a few weeks ago and reminded us of the passage in Luke 17:7-10. It hit me afresh when I was listening to his message. "Which of you, having a slave plowing or tending sheep, will say to him when he has come in from the field, 'Come immediately and sit down to eat'? "But will he not say to him, 'Prepare something for me to eat, and {properly} clothe yourself and serve me while I eat and drink; and afterward you may eat and drink'? "He does not thank the slave because he did the things which were commanded, does he? "So you too, when you do all the things which are commanded you, say, 'We are unworthy slaves; we have done {only} that which we ought to have done.' " This was Paul's attitude towards life.
Paul goes on in verse 26 to describe the mystery of the Word of God that was hidden, but now has been revealed. This takes me back to Hebrews where Paul explains how the OT law was a foreshadowing of Christ and His work on the cross. It is amazing that God sent His Son to save the Jews, but even more so that He came to save the whole world! We serve an amazing God! This gift that we have been given is so amazing that we should not be able to keep from telling people. We should be like Paul and proclaim the gospel to those around us. But Paul does not stop at proclaiming the gospel. He goes on to teach every man in order to present them complete in Christ. This is something I find lacking in some church outreaches. They preach the gospel, but often times don't follow up with those who have expressed a desire to know Christ. If we are going to preach Christ, we must be ready to give people the tools they need to live for Christ. Otherwise, we are setting them up for failure.

As I mentioned earlier, sharing the gospel is a command; it is our duty as followers of Christ. When we obey this command, we are doing nothing more than our duty. We don't deserve any praise or glory because we were just being obedient. The thought of being an unworthy servant is something I have been thinking a lot about in the last few weeks. I am reminded of my lack of humility and desire for my own glory instead of God's. That is so wrong! Who am I, but a sinner who is not even worthy of being a servant of Christ. Yet, Christ in His grace has washed me and is making me into His image. It is nothing I have done, there is nothing I could do to earn this. The one thing I can do is serve Him with all that is within me, and tell others of His amazing grace. In the last couple verses in this passage, we see Paul's heart. I too feel this way as I seek to teach and admonish you guys. I am laboring and striving so that you will be made complete in Christ. It is my joy and passion to see people growing in Christ. That is why I want to do long term missions wherever I am. I want to be able to help people grow in Christ and understand His will for their lives. I pray that you girls will grow and change more into the image of Christ each day as we walk this road together.

No comments: